I just baked a batch of Vegan Strawberry Mini Cupcake using Air Fryer. Ain’t they lovely?
After baking for the children that go to the same temple as my brother, I have been thinking of baking for them again. As fate would have it, my brother asked if I could bake some more cookies for 25 children this Christmas which I readily agreed.
So I baked more of the Vegan Chocolate Butter Cookies. As it’s Christmas, I would like to bake some more goodies for the children. After going through a number of recipes, I decided to bake cupcakes for them.
The recipe that I used is one that is meant for oven baking. So that means I have to experiment with the temperature and the baking time on my air fryer.
Without further ado, I immediately started baking. That’s when I realize that I do not have all the ingredients that were needed. So I decided to tweak the recipe to use what I have on hand.
The original recipe called for baking soda but I do not have it. So I replaced it with baking soda.
It also needs distilled white vinegar which I mistook for white vinegar. It’s only when I started to bake that I realize my mistake. After a quick search online, I replaced the vinegar with fresh lemon juice as advised by this website.
Here’s the result.
Looks yummy and it tastes yummy too. My toddler can’t stop eating the cupcakes.
Now that I’m done baking the cupcakes, I decided to bake another batch.
I kept every ingredient the same as the first batch except this time, I’m using baking soda.
Another reason for baking another batch is that I wanted to test the sugar. The site that recorded this recipe shared that the top of the cupcakes is slightly crispy instead of soft. This could be due to the sugar being added in instead of creaming it. For my first batch of cupcakes, I blended the sugar while for the second time, I added the sugar directly and mix it all together. The result is that my 2nd batch of cupcakes indeed has a slightly crispy top as compared to my first batch. And when I look at it closely, I can even see the sugar crystal.
Now that I have finished two rounds of baking, here’s my finalized recipe.
Yield: 50 mini cupcakes
- 220g Flour
- 90g Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 14-16 Frozen/Pureed/Crushed Strawberry
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 110g Canola Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Blend the sugar to powder form. You can skip this step if you like your cupcake to be a little crispy on top.
- Sieve the flour, sugar and baking soda into a mixing bowl.
- Mix the oil, lemon juice and vanilla essence in another bowl.
- Puree or crush the strawberry. As my strawberry is frozen till rock hard, I used a slow juicer to make it into a sorbet. Then add it into the oil mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Mix well until the ingredients are incorporated. Take note not to overmix.
- Preheat the air fryer at 170℃ for 5 min
- Line the cupcake mold with a cupcake liner and scoop the batter into it. I used the measuring spoon for ‘1 teaspoon’ to scoop the batter into the liner.
- Bake at 170℃ for 8 min or until a toothpick inserted into the middle came out clean.
- Remove from the air fryer and cool on a rack. Continue baking till all batter is used up.
When cool, store the cupcakes in an airtight container and consume it within a week.
Have fun baking!